1. 用來回答感謝或類似於感謝的句子,意爲:不用謝;不客氣; 不要這樣說; 哪裏哪裏。如:
A:Thank you very much. 太感謝你了。
B:Don’t mention it. 別客氣。
A:The film was wonderful. Thank you for invitingme. 這電影很精彩,謝謝你邀請了我。
B:Don’t mention it. I’m glad you enjoyed it. 別客氣,你喜歡就好了。
A:You are so kind. 你太客氣。
B:Don’t mention it. 哪裏哪裏。
A:Very kind of you to come, Mrs Green. 格林太太,難爲你來一趟。
B:Don’t mention it. 哪兒的話。
2. 用來回答道歉,意爲:沒關係;不要這樣說。如:
A:I apologize for what I said. 對不起,我說錯了。
B:Don’t mention it. 沒關係。
A:I’m sorry to have troulbed you. 對不起麻煩你了。
B:Don’t mention it. 不要這樣說()。
3. 表示某事不重要或無需考慮,意爲:那就甭提了; 那就算了。如:
I paid the milkman for you—£3. 20 for the week, he said—and you can give that to me. As fortaking care of Billy, don’t mention it. He was notrouble at all. 我替你付了送牛奶人的錢,這一週共3. 2英鎊,他說,這你可以給我。至於照看比利的事,就算了,照看他一點也不麻煩。